Yes, before you even blinked and realised it, Spring is here. And if you slacked a little during the cooler months, I bet round about now, you’re wishing you just kept on running, biking, swimming, paddling, gyming just that little bit more than you actually did
No fear, the Spring calendar is JAM-PACKED to get you motivated. And if you can’t train during the week, you can still race once or twice every weekend. Nothing like high-intensity interval training!
This last weekend was one of the first of many more local festivals on the Cape calendar: The Windgat Festival hosted by Pringle Bay. It seems these local small-town festivals are getting quite popular as they host a range of activities for the families, from shopping, crafts and entertainment and then of course, for the actively inclined, a race (or two).
There’s a lot to like about these small-town festival races:
* there’s plenty for the family to do, if you want
* it’s an awesome break from the usual
* you get to see people racing you normally wouldn’t encounter in the bigger city races
* run against the local talent (and trust, it’s pretty sharp!)
* you get to break all the usual race preparation rules
* easy to just get out there, have fun and race hard
So if you see a small-town festival coming up, check the calendar of events for a race and then pack the family in for a weekend (or even just a night) away. You’ll be glad you did